Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Update - July 14, 2009

As you know I'd been feeling poorly for some time, especially since we got back from Europe. My doctor had ordered several tests, including a CT scan of my head.

On Saturday June 11 at around 5 in the afternoon, we got a call from a doctor at Misericordia Hospital asking if the results had been reviewed with me. When I said they hadn't he asked that we come in right away. We had a suspicion that the results were not good...

When we got to the hospital the doctor said he was very sorry to tell us but the scan had showed up multiple masses on the brain, consistent with cancer. This was a shock especially since I had been followed up since my cancer was cleared in 2003 with never an indication of any further problem. The doctor had referred my case to an oncologist who was supposed to call on Monday. The rest of the weekend was not fun :-(

On Monday we had an appointment made for today to get things rolling. We saw the radiation oncologist today at HSC. Although the CT showed many masses on the brain they are small and the doctor thought they will likely respond to radiation treatment.

So I had my first radiation treatment today, out of 12 that I will have. I will go every day (except weekends) until the course is complete. In the meantime they will be running more tests to determine whether it is a return of the breast cancer, or there is cancer somewhere else. It is very hard to take in but now that I know the treatment has started I feel a bit better and more hopeful.

That is the update for now. Dallas has started this blog for me so we can post updates here, it will be alot easier for us to keep you informed of what's going on, and you can send me messages back, too.

Love, Pam

9 comments:

  1. Hi Pam and Dallas,
    Dallas - thank you for setting up this blog.
    Pam - I am praying for healing for you and for guidance for your doctors and carrying you both in my heart.
    Love,
    Aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam,
    A somber mood infected the office upon hearing the news. I cannot wait for you to get back so that they would all smile again. We are all with you. Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Pam:
    Get better soon!!!!
    I need your customary help to keep Jordan in line. Without you, who knows what he does on his computer:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam-a-lama
    We are heart sick at your news, but a positive attitude and keeping your chakras aligned ( yoga with Deborah) all helps.
    We are planning a trip to Wpg in early August and I want to hear all about your European adventures!
    Love and hugs
    Sarah and Curt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam,
    Oh my. I am so sorry to hear this news. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Much love,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam,
    Get better soon.
    Love Rick

    }}---sending good vibes your way--->

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam , so sorry to hear your news. Just so you know I have a car and a flexible schedule so if you need transportation don't hesitate to call.
    Love you,
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam,
    I am stunned by this news and I really don't know what to say. You are in my thoughts (and John's, too), and we are sending all the good energy your way. If there's anything at all that I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask (delicious vegetarian meals?).
    Love Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I have your Pogo Stick, Yogi? :-)

    ReplyDelete