So... all week we had been looking forward to further progress in the way of the CT scan scheduled for tonight...
When we got to HSC for the scan I had to fill out a form, as usual. The form asked what tests had been done lately, so I wrote down the "barium swallow" from Monday. This elicited a "hmmmm" from the nurse...
So apparently one cannot have a CT scan within a week of the barium swallow. Both tests use radioactive contrast and the remaining barium in the system might show up on the CT and spoil the results. So we got sent home.
This was actually pretty upsetting since we really felt we were making fairly rapid progress in the diagnosis of my cancer. The stupid thing is that the b-swallow and the CT are done in the exact same room by the exact same people and were scheduled at the exact same time. Obviously the CT is way more important to have done than the b-swallow so they should have known this and scheduled these the other way round. The nurse helpfully pointed out that "next time, we should be sure that the CT comes before the barium test" but it's a bit late now, and I think somewhat unreasonable to expect the patient to know this...
Anyway, new date for the CT is next Wednesday night. Grrr...
At least I got a nice chocolate milkshake out of it because I made Dallas stop at McDonald's on the way home. Plus after tomorrow the radiation will be two-thirds done.
Chin-chin!
Love, P.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Argh! That is so frustrating! Of course the patient should not be expected to know these things.
ReplyDeleteHmmm.. you've got me thinking about milkshakes now. It's dairy, right? That makes it a breakfast food, right? :)
Looking forward to seeing you when I get to Manitoba. See you soon.
Love Sharon
A very disappointing development Pam:(
ReplyDeleteA case of the left-hand not knowing what the right-hand is doing?
I can feel your frustration.
But stay optimistic and tell Dallas to get you one or two more milkshakes:):)
We miss you
John
Pam and Dallas,
ReplyDeleteso sorry you have to go through this delay. I hope you at least got an apology from the department. Human nature is sure not perfect but you would think it would be a lot better than your experience.
Keep drinking those milk shakes!!
Love Pat
Well that really sucks. I will have to remember to go to Med school before I go for my next appoinment. I see you finally hooked up with Mr. Chin.
ReplyDeleteI miss you more. Jordan